Thursday, July 28, 2011

Completed!

Earlier this week, my friend @StevenM. celebrated his 22nd birthday. At some point each day, he makes his way to Bolton Hall to visit with me in the office/entertain everyone with his “Kyle impersonation”. For his birthday on Monday, I reached in my desk and pulled out a packet of sticker stars and told him he had to wear one the entire day because he was special. He enjoyed it no matter what he says.


Soon after finding the amazing sticker collection (A key item for the elementary school classroom, @ZBeck), I found a rubber stamp that read COMPLETED. I’m sure that our Communication Specialist used it in the office at some point to organize files. Steven, being the kid that he is, told me that if he makes it through the night, that he will have to trade in his gold star sticker for a “completed” stamp. I agreed.


It’s amazing how that old rubber stamp that probably has not touched a dash of ink in years can mean so many things. As I wrap up my last few days in Hattiesburg, I think of how I am done with this chapter of life. Completed. I was taken off of the FYE email list, removed from both of the SGA election systems and taken off of the Southern Style blue card. All in the same week. Hard to let it go. But I have completed this portion of the storybook. It is finished. With that said, it is an amazing feeling to know that my undergraduate experience was everything I needed and more. A gold star. From a personal perspective to academics to friendships. I am proud to say that this is a good completion and I can now trade in that gold star.


In other news, my (part Mexican) friend @ZKnight and I are hosting a potluck tonight entitled “Politically Incorrect Night: A Racially Stereotypical Dining Experience” - It all came about because we were supposed to get Mexican together at some point before I left. He then decided to cook and make it into a whole party for a few friends and staff members. Jokingly, he told me that I have to bring a stereotypical dish. Now, the stipulation is that everyone has to bring a dish that is stereotypically linked to their race. For example, I have to bring watermelon or fried chicken. Our Italian friends will be bringing pizza. He's cooking Mexican, etc.. It’s all perfect. Basically, we have student affairs brains in this office and we use every opportunity to make something a learning experience. We will somehow fit diversity/ cultural awareness training in there. Stay tuned.

2 comments:

  1. I just LOL'ed at communication specialist. Oh man.


    You will be missed, Kyle. You already are.

    ReplyDelete