I wanted to take a moment to share a few thoughts of the last few days in reference to the tornado in Hattiesburg and at Southern Miss. It has been such a heartbreaking experience to see such devastation in a place that I love so much. In addition, it brings back terrible memories of every other natural disaster that I've witnessed.
Nonetheless, I am exceedingly grateful for the love and support of so many people. As I was reaching out to check on my friends who still live in Hattiesburg, I was overwhelmed by the amount of people checking on me. I received so many texts, Tweets, and messages from best friends near and far, students and colleagues here at LSU, high school teachers, and even folks that I met during an exchange visit to Canada a few years back.
Further, the University has received 10 times the amount of support from folks: Mississippi State has sent personnel; Ole Miss has offered a helping hand; Vanderbilt; Memphis; Oregon State; every team in our athletic conference, and more.
I have immense appreciation for everyone who has offered their time, thoughts, and prayers. We feel it.
My friend Stacy shared this perfectly written thought as her Facebook status. It sums it up so well.
Though my heart aches for the city of Hattiesburg and the carnage left in the wake of nature's hand on us, my spirit is strong and my hope steadfast because of the proven strength of my community and leaders. We are not the first and will not be the last to experience these trying times. But this I know: for ever impassable road and walkway, for every home that is mangled and broken, for every tear shed from worry, loss or fear, we are now again united as one people--the City of Hattiesburg--to restore life to our neighbors and to the place that we call home. God bless Hattiesburg and every heart connected to it.
He's the God of this City.
Southern Miss - To the Top!
No comments:
Post a Comment